The Salivary glands, Eyes and Ears
Describe the anatomy and function
Appreciate the composition and control of secretion of saliva
Describe and recognise serous cells and mucous cells
Describe the structure and histology of:
– Salivary secretory unit
– Salivary ductal system
– Parotid, submandibular and sublingual glands
Describe the basic structure of the eye and explain how structure relates to function
Describe the basic structure of the ear and explain how structure relates to function
The Endocrine System
In-depth notes on the endocrine system with the help of clear diagrams. These notes also include practice MCQ and SAQ questions.
The normal histology and function of the:
• Pituitary gland
• Thyroid gland
• Parathyroid gland
• Adrenal gland
• Endocrine pancreas
• Pineal gland
• The diffuse neuroendocrine system
Basic Cell Types
• Describe the different types of epithelium, where they are located and their functional relevance.
• Know the different types of cells making up supporting tissues.
• Understand the term ‘mesenchymal tissue’.
• This lecture will not cover details of nervous system and muscle.
The Circulatory System
In-depth notes on the circulatory system, with the assistance of clear diagrams. A summary and a few revision questions are included.
Describe the macroscopic and microscopic structure and function of the blood circulatory system
Describe and recognise the structure of the heart and understand how structure relates to function
Compare and contrast the arterial and venous systems microcirculation
Describe and recognise (covered in previous bullet point):
- Elastic arteries, muscular arteries, arterioles
- Small and large veins
Describe the structure and function of the lymphatic system
Basic Cell Types
In-depth notes on the basic cell types, with the assistance of clear diagrams; a concise introduction to this module, giving a strong basis for building on tissue biology studies.
Four basic tissues:
• Epithelial (specialised tissue within organs, more complex)
• Supporting tissue
• Muscular tissue
• Nervous tissue
The Nervous System
• Introduction to the neuron
• Physiology of nerve impulse transmission
• Peripheral nervous system -> ANS
• Central nervous system
In-depth notes on embryology, with the assistance of clear diagrams.
• Fertilisation and gastrulation
• Structure of placenta
• Germ cell layers
• Basic details of formation of:
- Musculoskeletal system
- Urinary system